Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I'm sorry you feel that way

We've all heard this, and we all hate it. Something goes wrong: so you call one of our great corporations, and wander through the voice prompt system. You're told to expect a long hold time. You pick the wrong one of eight options, and forget to press pound at the end of your account number. You redial. You're kept waiting long enough to listen to a sales pitch for a product you don't want. Twice. Three times.

Then you speak to a person. Before you can tell them what's wrong, you identify yourself. You explain, are misunderstood, and explain again what the corporation has lost, broken, forgotten, or taken from you.

Then the customer service representative hits back.

"I'm sorry that you feel that way."

When did this become about my feelings? And what makes this stranger think that they know how I feel? There's nothing at all convincing about their sorrow. This is not about the failure of the corporation any more: it's about making you feel better while they do nothing.

I just don't want it. I want them to fix what they did badly. I will not let them fake dolorous compassion any more.

How about you? Will you tell them to knock it off?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?