Saturday, August 27, 2005

It happens once

I start here, but it isn't the beginning.

I just watched Cindy Sheehan on Bill Maher's Real Time off the indispensable Crooks and Liars, and I am moved.

From time to time, some poor bastard gives voice to a clear message. They don't necessarily like it when it happens: it's an inconvenience that others hear it, pick it up, and won't let the message die; and the messenger has simply to pass it on, over and over again. Don't get me wrong: it's not a talking point (Jon Stewart via Crooks and Liars); it's not that someone has to catapult the propaganda, as the Dear Leader puts it; it's something that we're already listening for.

Most of the time, if you or I have something to say, someone will find a way to kill it: they will attack the messenger to kill the message. This evening I heard Cindy's audience say her message could not be killed in this way, and I think Cindy already knows this. It's not her message any more.

Cindy Sheehan has a simple, honorable question which honors her son, and honors the message. It's this: President Bush, what was the Noble Cause Casey Sheehan died for?

The Gold Star Families for Peace would like to know.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?